Has your phone been bugged? Here are some signs your phone is being tapped into:
- Difficulty Shutting Down – You may experience a delay in shutting down your phone. Often you will notice the back-light is still on even after it’s shut off.
- Odd Activity – This can consist of distortions on your screen or even application being installed by itself.
- Call Interference – During phone calls there may be unexplained background noises, clicks, echoes, or static.
- Data Use Increase – Drastic increases in data without a good explanation. Not sure how to tell… “Look at how much data your device is using, and see if there’s a big discrepancy between how much data you’re using, and how much your applications are using. Any difference involving 10MB or more might be a sign of ‘parasitic activity’” – DarkReading
- Low Battery and High Temperatures – Both paired together could be caused by a constantly running application tapping into your phone.
- Coded Text Messages – This is a strong sign your phone has been tapped
The 2015 Internet Security Threat Report from Symantec showed that data breaches surged by 23 percent last year, and nearly a million new pieces of malware (“malicious software”) were created per day. Almost 1 in 5 Android apps available last year were actually malware in disguise, says the same report. The more popular smartphones and downloading apps become, the more popular malware and other viruses are becoming as well. Be smart and keep your smartphone safe from these bugs.
How do you prevent your phone from getting infected?
Strong Lockscreens – The stronger your passcode to get your phone unlocked the more secure your phone is.
- Not sure how to set up a lockscreen…
- Android Lockscreen Setup
- iPhone Lockscreen Setup
- Top lockscreen apps…
- Android Antivirus Apps
- iOS Antivirus Apps
Update Your OS – There is a reason they come out with updates and new operating systems. The longer you put off updating your phone, the more susceptible it is.
Use Trustworthy Companies – If you are downloading applications, ringtones, wallpapers, etc. always use trustworthy companies, take the time to read reviews too.
- How do you tell a website is unsafe? (SpyRambly)
- Poor layout
- Bright and flashing buttons, banners, or images
- Constant pressure to download
- Manipulation used to click on unsafe links
Turn Off Bluetooth – When you are not using the Bluetooth, have it set to off
Take Out Battery – Although this make not as practical for frequent users but if you know you won’t be using your phone for a while, take out the battery.
Don’t Jailbreak – If you jailbreak your phone this leaves you much more susceptible to viruses.
Use the Two Step Verification – This is an extra security step.
- Not sure how to set it up…
- Google 2-Step Verification
- Apple 2-Step Verification
Encrypt Sensitive Information – Another extra security step to help keep you safe.
TIP: Backup Your Information – No matter how hard you try to prevent it there is still a chance you will get infected. It is always a good idea to have your information backed up in case you have to wipe your phone clean.
- How do you backup your phone?
- Android Backups
- iPhone Backups
- Take out your SIM card at first sign of malware
- Restart your phone in ‘Safe Mode’
- Depending on the severity of the infection:
- Uninstall the application or remove file/software from where the malware came from
- Reset to factory settings – you can do this on your own or take it to your provider (This is where backing your information up is important)
- Run an anti-virus scan
Subscribe To Our E-Newsletter
The Great Phishing Scamdemic
Have you been noticing an abundance of suspicious looking emails flooding y…
Serious Risks to Consider When Socializing Distantly
In today’s crazy world of staying home instead of visiting friends, we’ve a…
Ten Tips on How to be Successful While Working From Home Dur
As a web developer of over 15 years, I’ve spent a lot of time working remot…
- Facebook Password Reset Scam!
- Why Is It Important To Know Who Owns Your Representative? One Example: Glass-Steagall
- Social Media Copyright Issues: Fair Use or Infringement?
- What’s a Twitter Storm?
- There’s an App for Labor Organization
- Common Email Scams to Lookout For
- How the Internet Helps in a Crisis
- Safe Harbor Rule Invalidated, How it Affects You
- Good Links or Bad Links?
- Weatherization Grants | SBAM | Small Business Association of Michigan Know a business that jumped though hoops to meet the Michigan covid guidelines? They can apply for a first come-first serve grant to reimbursement. https://www.sbam.org/weatherization-grants/
- It’s getting to be that time of year... 🎁🎄
- The struggle is real!
- 40 Great Gadget and Gear Gifts for the Holidays Gift ideas for everyone on your gift list! I put a couple of #3 on my list. What's your favorite?
#67daysuntilchristmas #christmas2020 #giftbuying #easychristmaslists #2020bestgifts
- Happy February 14th. 😉 #ValentinesDay2020
- Easy to mix up I suppose...🤣🥞💻
#technology #TechnologyRocks #TechnologyTheseDays #technologynews #technologysolutions #technologyfail #technologyart #technologytrends #technologyr #TechnologyIsAwesome #technologysucks #technologyhatesme #technologyinnovation #technologytoenjoy #technologylover #technologyaddict #technologytuesday #technologywitch #technologyrules #technologytakeover #technologycompany #TechnologyforGood #technologyproblems #technologyeducation #TechnologyConsulting #technologyfree #technologyfacts #technologypark #technologyiscool #technologyjobs
- That's about as helpful as #AutoCorrect could ever be!
- Happy New Year! Now that the holidays are over...
#alexa #christmas2019 #newyears2019 #happynewyear #technology
- Chinese Government Holds Back Everyone’s Internet Freedom: A strong example of the problems this world... Chinese Government Holds Back Everyone’s Internet Freedom: A strong example of the problems this world faces with cyber censorship is what is going on in China. The government blocks many websites, searches, and software based on their content.
- EU-US Privacy Shield Still Not Protecting Your Privacy: Still collecting bulk data, problems with the... EU-US Privacy Shield Still Not Protecting Your Privacy: Still collecting bulk data, problems with the judicial redress act, and no true protection for businesses
- Copyright and Social Media: This has become a gray area. Almost everyone is guilty of... Copyright and Social Media: This has become a gray area. Almost everyone is guilty of sharing something on social media, whether it be Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest, that was copyrighted and not yours to share. But what is fair to ...