Has your phone been bugged? Here are some signs your phone is being tapped into:
- Difficulty Shutting Down – You may experience a delay in shutting down your phone. Often you will notice the back-light is still on even after it’s shut off.
- Odd Activity – This can consist of distortions on your screen or even application being installed by itself.
- Call Interference – During phone calls there may be unexplained background noises, clicks, echoes, or static.
- Data Use Increase – Drastic increases in data without a good explanation. Not sure how to tell… “Look at how much data your device is using, and see if there’s a big discrepancy between how much data you’re using, and how much your applications are using. Any difference involving 10MB or more might be a sign of ‘parasitic activity’” – DarkReading
- Low Battery and High Temperatures – Both paired together could be caused by a constantly running application tapping into your phone.
- Coded Text Messages – This is a strong sign your phone has been tapped
The 2015 Internet Security Threat Report from Symantec showed that data breaches surged by 23 percent last year, and nearly a million new pieces of malware (“malicious software”) were created per day. Almost 1 in 5 Android apps available last year were actually malware in disguise, says the same report. The more popular smartphones and downloading apps become, the more popular malware and other viruses are becoming as well. Be smart and keep your smartphone safe from these bugs.
How do you prevent your phone from getting infected?
Strong Lockscreens – The stronger your passcode to get your phone unlocked the more secure your phone is.
- Not sure how to set up a lockscreen…
- Android Lockscreen Setup
- iPhone Lockscreen Setup
- Top lockscreen apps…
Update Your OS – There is a reason they come out with updates and new operating systems. The longer you put off updating your phone, the more susceptible it is.
Use Trustworthy Companies – If you are downloading applications, ringtones, wallpapers, etc. always use trustworthy companies, take the time to read reviews too.
- How do you tell a website is unsafe? (SpyRambly)
- Poor layout
- Bright and flashing buttons, banners, or images
- Constant pressure to download
- Manipulation used to click on unsafe links
Turn Off Bluetooth – When you are not using the Bluetooth, have it set to off
Take Out Battery – Although this make not as practical for frequent users but if you know you won’t be using your phone for a while, take out the battery.
Don’t Jailbreak – If you jailbreak your phone this leaves you much more susceptible to viruses.
Use the Two Step Verification – This is an extra security step.
- Not sure how to set it up…
- Google 2-Step Verification
- Apple 2-Step Verification
Encrypt Sensitive Information – Another extra security step to help keep you safe.
TIP: Backup Your Information – No matter how hard you try to prevent it there is still a chance you will get infected. It is always a good idea to have your information backed up in case you have to wipe your phone clean.
- How do you backup your phone?
- Android Backups
- iPhone Backups
- Take out your SIM card at first sign of malware
- Restart your phone in ‘Safe Mode’
- Depending on the severity of the infection:
- Uninstall the application or remove file/software from where the malware came from
- Reset to factory settings – you can do this on your own or take it to your provider (This is where backing your information up is important)
- Run an anti-virus scan
Subscribe To Our E-Newsletter
Everything You Need to Know About Your Google Business Listi
Google My Business is the tool that allows you to directly edit your busine…
Why You Need an SSL Certificate on Your Website
Have you ever visited a website and been greeted by a warning stating that…
Social Media After Death
As of this year, at least 2.34 billion people worldwide are social media us…
- Perks of being a #developer. Dreading the drive home though...😅
Here's a pic from the office. .
#snow #winter #michigan #michiganweather #christmas #coding #webdevelopment
- Windows 7 End of Life Approaches As we're approaching the #holidays❄🎄, keep in mind that you should update your #Windows7 machines to continue receiving updates.
- Google Confirms Android Camera Security Threat: ‘Hundreds Of Millions’ Of Users Affected ‼ #Google and #Samsung phone users ‼
There is a confirmed #vulnerability in your camera app. #Hackers can gain access to your camera through a malicious app, then take pictures, videos, record phone calls, and more. Be sure to keep ...
- This would be REAL progress for #Facebook. 🤣
- 🍎If you're experiencing issues with location and time on your #Apple device, you may have missed an #important update. Don't worry, it is still possible to update, but you'll need to use iTunes.
How to update: http://ow.ly/zj1750x2GmE
More info: http://ow.ly/N8GX50x2GmDAs of November 3, 2019, some iPhone and iPad models introduced in 2012 and earlier require an iOS update to resume accurate GPS location. This is due to the GPS time rollover issue that began affecting GPS-enabled products from other ...Update your iPhone or iPad software if you're experiencing issues with location, date, and time
📱 If your older Apple device is not updated to version 10.3.4 or above, make sure you do so before 8:00 PM (EST) this Saturday or you'll lose the ability to access the internet and online features.
More info ...Starting just before 12:00 a.m. UTC on November 3, 2019,* iPhone 5 will require an iOS update to maintain accurate GPS location and to continue to use functions that rely on correct date and time including App Store, iCloud, email, ...Update your iPhone 5 to continue using App Store, iCloud, email, web, and other services
- Happy #LaborDay from us at Appletree! We will be closed to observe the holiday. #UnionStrong
- You may have seen this photo circulating social media (specifically Instagram) for a while now. Head of @instagram, @mosseri, has came out and said that there is no truth to it.
#hoax #instagram #privacypolicy
- Have YOU signed up for our bi-weekly #eNewsletter yet? Don't miss important #security and #TechTips, helpful products, and #scams going around.
Press the link in our bio to see what you're missing and subscribe for #FREE!
- Self control is hard sometimes, I get it.
#amazon #primeday #shopping #selfcontrol #onlineshopping #amazonprime
- The great grandkids are bezel-less! 📱
#bezelless #bezellessdisplay #iphone #smartphone #technology #newtech #meme #techmeme #techjoke #funnytech
- We want to wish you all a safe and happy 4th of July! 🎇🎆
- 🤣 #wiretap #alexa #googlehome
- Chinese Government Holds Back Everyone’s Internet Freedom: A strong example of the problems this world... Chinese Government Holds Back Everyone’s Internet Freedom: A strong example of the problems this world faces with cyber censorship is what is going on in China. The government blocks many websites, searches, and software based on their content.
- EU-US Privacy Shield Still Not Protecting Your Privacy: Still collecting bulk data, problems with the... EU-US Privacy Shield Still Not Protecting Your Privacy: Still collecting bulk data, problems with the judicial redress act, and no true protection for businesses
- Copyright and Social Media: This has become a gray area. Almost everyone is guilty of... Copyright and Social Media: This has become a gray area. Almost everyone is guilty of sharing something on social media, whether it be Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest, that was copyrighted and not yours to share. But what is fair to ...