It’s Not Free Anymore?
For most websites, it actually does remain effectively free – for now. Google’s new Map pricing structure grants up to $200 worth of free usage per month, per website. This is the equivalent of around 28,000 dynamic map loads. Keep in mind that advanced features such as turn-by-turn directions count as multiple loads. As such, highly interactive embedded maps may use more loads than you might expect. Still, unless the free threshold changes drastically, this new policy will only affect high-volume websites.
How Do I Fix It?
First, you will need a Google Cloud account (or enable Google Cloud in your existing Google account). Once in, you will need to create a new “Project” for your website and then follow the steps to set up Billing. Yes, you will need a credit or debit card on file with Google, even if it is never charged. Once billing is set up, Google will issue you an API key to use in your new Project. Be sure to protect this key.
Once you have your API key, integrating it into your map is the next step. This process will vary greatly depending on your specific situation. Some people use embedded maps as part of a plugin – in which case the key would be entered somewhere into the plugin’s settings. Others might need to enter it into their theme or content management system. For custom maps, the help of a developer may be required. Whatever your case may be, Appletree MediaWorks has the experience to get you on the right track – don’t hesitate to drop us a line if you’re stuck.
An Easier Way
If all you need is a simple area map with a single marked point – the most common sort of map found on Contact Us pages – you’re in luck! Even with Google’s new cost structure, it is still possible to use a simple “iframe”-based map completely free of charge and without an API key.
Simply point your browser at Google Maps and locate your business or point of interest. Click on the map where you want to add the flag. If your business is registered in Google Maps, you will be able to highlight it directly. When the side navigation pops up, use the Menu to select “Share or embed map”. From there, click “Embed a map” and copy the HTML it generates. This snippet of code can be placed anywhere you’d like the map to appear.
Subscribe To Our E-Newsletter
Google Images are Not Free
Images are a great way to catch eyes on your website, social media, and eve…
Everything You Need to Know About Your Google Business Listi
Google My Business is the tool that allows you to directly edit your busine…
Why You Need an SSL Certificate on Your Website
Have you ever visited a website and been greeted by a warning stating that…
- Do I Need Alignable?
- Facebook Password Reset Scam!
- Safe Harbor Rule Invalidated, How it Affects You
- Windows 10 Is Malware
- Why Is It Important To Know Who Owns Your Representative? One Example: Glass-Steagall
- Court Notice Scam
- Important Security Notification – Change Your LinkedIn Passwords!
- Everything You Need to Know About Your Google Business Listing
- Timeline Photos We're excited to say that performancefieldhouse.com is up and running.
Checking facility availability and purchasing time is easy with the online booking system we've implemented.
We've loved working with Performance FieldHouse. Go check out their new site!
- Lots of spam email have been finding their way into our main inbox recently. Be cautious before clicking a link and lookout for signs of spam.
Here is an article we did about common spam emails to watch out for:
- Happy February 14th. 😉 #ValentinesDay2020
- SIM swapping is a scary form of phone number fraud. Here's how to detect it... Sim swapping is a way #hackers gain access to phone numbers, then online accounts. This CNET article talks everything you should know about sim swapping.
- Easy to mix up I suppose...🤣🥞💻
- Easy to mix up I suppose...🤣🥞💻
#technology #TechnologyRocks #TechnologyTheseDays #technologynews #technologysolutions #technologyfail #technologyart #technologytrends #technologyr #TechnologyIsAwesome #technologysucks #technologyhatesme #technologyinnovation #technologytoenjoy #technologylover #technologyaddict #technologytuesday #technologywitch #technologyrules #technologytakeover #technologycompany #TechnologyforGood #technologyproblems #technologyeducation #TechnologyConsulting #technologyfree #technologyfacts #technologypark #technologyiscool #technologyjobs
- Firefighters warn TikTok 'outlet challenge' could cause fire, serious injury A new social media challenge is catching the attention of firefighters. Beware of the TikTok 'outlet challenge'.
- FedEx warns of text message scams claiming to have package information #ScamAlert
Appletree MediaWorks, LLC
- Support for Windows 7 ends today. Upgrading your OS may not require a new device, & it is easy & affordable (the Linux OS is even free).
For more information on Microsoft ending support for Windows 7 and how to...
- That's about as helpful as #AutoCorrect could ever be!
- Happy New Year! Now that the holidays are over...
#alexa #christmas2019 #newyears2019 #happynewyear #technology
- 🎄 Is it Christmas already? 🎅
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Let's hope our New Year's resolutions last this time around..🤣
- Chinese Government Holds Back Everyone’s Internet Freedom: A strong example of the problems this world... Chinese Government Holds Back Everyone’s Internet Freedom: A strong example of the problems this world faces with cyber censorship is what is going on in China. The government blocks many websites, searches, and software based on their content.
- EU-US Privacy Shield Still Not Protecting Your Privacy: Still collecting bulk data, problems with the... EU-US Privacy Shield Still Not Protecting Your Privacy: Still collecting bulk data, problems with the judicial redress act, and no true protection for businesses
- Copyright and Social Media: This has become a gray area. Almost everyone is guilty of... Copyright and Social Media: This has become a gray area. Almost everyone is guilty of sharing something on social media, whether it be Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest, that was copyrighted and not yours to share. But what is fair to ...