Keep applying patches – especially now!
Although we always recommend updating your software, it is especially important to apply updates frequently through July of 2019. This is because Microsoft will be changing the way it supplies patches to its users. If updates were not applied leading up to July, Microsoft will stop supplying security updates altogether. This would potentially open your system up to attack a full 6 months before the official sunset date.
Upgrade to Windows 10
Since Windows 7 will no longer be viable after January 14, it is important to upgrade your operating system before that crucial date. Although there are many operating systems to choose from (we recommend Linux if you have the know-how), for most the obvious choice will be Windows 10. This offers the easiest transition since in most cases you do not need to convert any files. Also, your favorite programs will continue working without any interruption. Follow these steps to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10.
- Make sure your device can support Windows 10. The latest version of Windows requires a 1GHz or faster processor, 1GB of RAM, and 32GB of hard drive space. Read the full requirements here and make sure your system or device will work. If not, you may need to upgrade your hardware as well.
- Purchase Windows 10. The free update period expired back in 2016. Although some people have reported that they are still able to upgrade for free, the rest will need to purchase a new Windows 10 product key from microsoft.com.
- Create a full backup. Although this upgrade process is usually seamless, it can sometimes fail and you may lose data. To avoid any problems, it is best to make a full backup of your system so that you can roll back if necessary. Windows 7 comes with a System Image Backup tool to make this process easier.
- Uninstall unnecessary software. Windows 10 will do its best to migrate all of your programs. However, some outdated or uncommon programs may cause problems. To minimize this possibility, we recommend using the Programs & Features tool to remove any software that you no longer need.
- Download and install Windows 10. Finally, download the Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File) tool. Once downloaded, run the executable and follow the on-screen instructions. When prompted, select “Upgrade this PC now” and later on, be sure to select the “Keep personal files and apps” option. During this process, you will be prompted to enter your Windows 10 product key. Use the key you purchased from microsoft.com.
Not happy with Windows 10? Is your device a little too old to handle the latest system requirements from Microsoft? Fortunately, Linux still runs on most anything and is available for free. There may be a bit of a learning curve, but popular distributions such as Ubuntu have made it much more user-friendly over the years.
If you decide to install Linux, be sure and make a full backup of all your essential files and documents on a thumb drive or external disc before making the jump. Remember that most Windows programs do not work natively in Linux, although there are workarounds and Linux versions available for some of them. Overall, prepare to re-learn some tasks and to spend time searching for alternative programs. This option is for moderate-to-advanced users who aren’t trying to do anything essential or time sensitive during the transition.
Can’t upgrade it? Recycle it!
If all this seems a little daunting, you may be better off just buying a new system with a more recent operating system already installed. In today’s market, low- to mid-level desktops are very affordable, especially when you subtract the cost of a Windows 10 license. If you go this route, a simple thumb drive can be used to transfer files and documents from your old system to the new.
Once all of your documents have been transferred, read our guide on recycling to learn how you can safely recycle your old system without compromising on security. Remember that old systems and devices contain batteries (whether you can see them or not), so it is important to discard them properly so they don’t leak toxic chemicals into the water supply.
Subscribe To Our E-Newsletter
Microsoft Scam Calls are Still Rampant
Microsoft scam calls have been around for a while, but they’re still detrim…
Windows 7 End of Life Approaches
The Windows 7 end of life date is quickly approaching. If you’re stil…
How to Recycle Technology Responsibly (without compromising
Did you ever wonder how to recycle technology responsibly? Earth Day is a g…
- Do I Need Alignable?
- Facebook Password Reset Scam!
- Why Is It Important To Know Who Owns Your Representative? One Example: Glass-Steagall
- Court Notice Scam
- Timothy Scarberry Construction
- Scam Emails
- How to Survive a Joe Job
- Important Security Notification – Change Your LinkedIn Passwords!
- Cat Tech Tips – Computer Updates
- Michigan Children's Protection Registry : Home A free service: ProtectMiChild - register your kids today and help keep their electronic devices safe.
The Michigan Children's Protection Registry website allows Michigan parents to register their children's electronic contact points for protection from inappropriate messages.
- Get a one-ring call? Don’t call back. ❗#SCAMALERT❗
If you receive a phone call that rings briefly and then stops, do NOT call the number back.
The caller is international and baiting you. Calling back can result in additional charges on your phone bill.
Learn more: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2019/05/get-one-ring-call-dont-call-back ...
- Father's Day 2019: Cool tech and gadgets for dad #FathersDay is this weekend, and all of us know that it can be hard to buy for dad. The TechRepublic put together this article of cool tech things and gadgets you could get for #FathersDay2019!
Get some ideas here: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/fathers-day-2019-cool-tech-and-gadgets-for-dad/
- Google Analytics is Blocked by Firefox, Mozilla Explains Why [UPDATED] - Search Engine Journal Firefox is now blocking websites like Google Analytics from collecting data by default. This is to encourage privacy, but can make it harder for small businesses to thrive online.
How do you feel about this?: #close" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.searchenginejournal.com/google-analytics-is-blocked-by-firefox-mozilla-explains-why/311471/#close
Representatives from Mozilla, parent ...
- 10 things in tech you need to know today ❗ The Business Insider put together this article of 10 current tech-related stories for those who like to stay informed on #tech! 💻
👁🗨Check it out here: https://www.businessinsider.com/10-things-in-tech-you-need-to-know-today-june-5-2019-6
Facebook investors want an independent investigation into Mark Zuckerberg's 'outsized' power, and ...
- Microsoft Scam Calls are Still Rampant ❗#SCAM ALERT❗
Tech support phone scams trick hundreds of thousands of people every year. Keep your #money 💲 AND your #computer 💻 safe!
Learn what's going on: https://appletreemediaworks.com/microsoft-scam-calls-are-still-rampant/
Microsoft scam calls have been around for a while, but they’re still ...
- Hit our bio link to know what to do before Microsoft #cancels #Windows7 next January.
#microsoft #windows #securityrisk #security #2020 #upgrade #technology
- Happy #MothersDay! 😃👩👦
- 💻💀 .
#technology #TechnologyRocks #TechnologyTheseDays #technologynews #technologysolutions #technologyfail #technologyart #technologytrends #technologyr #TechnologyIsAwesome #technologysucks #technologyhatesme #technologyinnovation #technologylover #technologyaddict #technologytuesday #technologywitch #technologyrules #technologytakeover #technologycompany #TechnologyforGood #technologyproblems #technologyeducation #TechnologyConsulting #technologyfree #technologyfacts #technologypark #technologyiscool #technologyjobs
- 🤷♂️ .
#technology #TechnologyRocks #TechnologyTheseDays #technologyfail #TechnologyIsAwesome #technologyinnovation #technologytoenjoy #technologylover #technologyaddict #technologytuesday #technologyrules #technologytakeover #TechnologyforGood #technologyproblems #TechnologyConsulting #technologyfree #technologyfacts #technologyiscool
- Chinese Government Holds Back Everyone’s Internet Freedom: A strong example of the problems this world... Chinese Government Holds Back Everyone’s Internet Freedom: A strong example of the problems this world faces with cyber censorship is what is going on in China. The government blocks many websites, searches, and software based on their content. 0 Repin Likes
- EU-US Privacy Shield Still Not Protecting Your Privacy: Still collecting bulk data, problems with the... EU-US Privacy Shield Still Not Protecting Your Privacy: Still collecting bulk data, problems with the judicial redress act, and no true protection for businesses 0 Repin Likes
- Copyright and Social Media: This has become a gray area. Almost everyone is guilty of... Copyright and Social Media: This has become a gray area. Almost everyone is guilty of sharing something on social media, whether it be Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest, that was copyrighted and not yours to share. But what is fair to ... 0 Repin Likes