Let this sink in – 2 out of 3 people have already had their data stolen in a security breach. It doesn’t matter if they had a secure password or two step authentication, somewhere there was a breach. From Yahoo to Home Depot to the latest breach for Arbys patrons, 64% of Americans have had their data stolen through breaches according to WordFence.com.
Stolen credit cards are one thing – the repercussions can be minor (or HUGE). But if a hacker steals someone’s debit card number, they could empty that person’s bank account. This could leave their entire family homeless while trying to recover.
What about the even bigger problem of cyber hacks?
Election 2016 Hack Comes From WordPress
Just days after Safer Internet Day the US Department of Homeland Security released a report that hackers used WordPress as a command and control server during the 2016 Election Hack. Yep, WordPress – the same website program used by businesses large and small – had an open door.
How did this happen? Basically, the site’s owner never updated a WordPress plugin even after its author released a security fix last year. A single click to update the plugin would have prevented this type of attack.
Website Defacements on the Rise
It seems Safer Internet Day also became a competition to hackers with website defacements on the rise by over 26% in just 24 hours. To put that in numbers, that’s over 1 million websites defaced with messages from the hackers bragging about having breached your website. From small sites to the National American University, no website was safe. Not sure if your WordPress website is susceptible to this vulnerability? Get ahold of Appletree MediaWorks. We can determine the status of your website and help you get things updated and safe.
You Need a Website Maintenance Package
There is a reason why good web development firms offer monthly maintenance packages to keep your website updated and running: security. The majority of our clients take advantage of our affordable maintenance packages. They trust in our union team to stay up on threats and updates. We’ve had clients that choose to save a couple of bucks each month and maintain their own sites. Some of them are diligent about running updates and stay safe. However many of them don’t, leaving themselves open to security holes like the websites we keep hearing about in the news.
Subscribe To Our E-Newsletter
Google Images are Not Free
Images are a great way to catch eyes on your website, social media, and eve…
Everything You Need to Know About Your Google Business Listi
Google My Business is the tool that allows you to directly edit your busine…
Why You Need an SSL Certificate on Your Website
Have you ever visited a website and been greeted by a warning stating that…
- Do I Need Alignable?
- Facebook Password Reset Scam!
- Why Is It Important To Know Who Owns Your Representative? One Example: Glass-Steagall
- Court Notice Scam
- Safe Harbor Rule Invalidated, How it Affects You
- Windows 10 Is Malware
- Help Alexa and Siri Find Your Business During Voice Search
- How Do I Increase Web Traffic
- Timeline Photos We're excited to say that performancefieldhouse.com is up and running.
Checking facility availability and purchasing time is easy with the online booking system we've implemented.
We've loved working with Performance FieldHouse. Go check out their new site!
- Lots of spam email have been finding their way into our main inbox recently. Be cautious before clicking a link and lookout for signs of spam.
Here is an article we did about common spam emails to watch out for:
- Happy February 14th. 😉 #ValentinesDay2020
- SIM swapping is a scary form of phone number fraud. Here's how to detect it... Sim swapping is a way #hackers gain access to phone numbers, then online accounts. This CNET article talks everything you should know about sim swapping.
- Easy to mix up I suppose...🤣🥞💻
- Easy to mix up I suppose...🤣🥞💻
#technology #TechnologyRocks #TechnologyTheseDays #technologynews #technologysolutions #technologyfail #technologyart #technologytrends #technologyr #TechnologyIsAwesome #technologysucks #technologyhatesme #technologyinnovation #technologytoenjoy #technologylover #technologyaddict #technologytuesday #technologywitch #technologyrules #technologytakeover #technologycompany #TechnologyforGood #technologyproblems #technologyeducation #TechnologyConsulting #technologyfree #technologyfacts #technologypark #technologyiscool #technologyjobs
- Firefighters warn TikTok 'outlet challenge' could cause fire, serious injury A new social media challenge is catching the attention of firefighters. Beware of the TikTok 'outlet challenge'.
- FedEx warns of text message scams claiming to have package information #ScamAlert
Appletree MediaWorks, LLC
- Support for Windows 7 ends today. Upgrading your OS may not require a new device, & it is easy & affordable (the Linux OS is even free).
For more information on Microsoft ending support for Windows 7 and how to...
- That's about as helpful as #AutoCorrect could ever be!
- Happy New Year! Now that the holidays are over...
#alexa #christmas2019 #newyears2019 #happynewyear #technology
- 🎄 Is it Christmas already? 🎅
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Let's hope our New Year's resolutions last this time around..🤣
- Chinese Government Holds Back Everyone’s Internet Freedom: A strong example of the problems this world... Chinese Government Holds Back Everyone’s Internet Freedom: A strong example of the problems this world faces with cyber censorship is what is going on in China. The government blocks many websites, searches, and software based on their content.
- EU-US Privacy Shield Still Not Protecting Your Privacy: Still collecting bulk data, problems with the... EU-US Privacy Shield Still Not Protecting Your Privacy: Still collecting bulk data, problems with the judicial redress act, and no true protection for businesses
- Copyright and Social Media: This has become a gray area. Almost everyone is guilty of... Copyright and Social Media: This has become a gray area. Almost everyone is guilty of sharing something on social media, whether it be Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest, that was copyrighted and not yours to share. But what is fair to ...