Cat Tech Tips – Computer Updates
You’re merrily typing along or browsing Facebook when suddenly Windows informs you that it has updated and wants to restart – what’s that all about? If Windows needs to update this often, what ELSE needs to be updated?
The answer is: Quite a few things! And many of those things have probably gone without computer updates for years. Keeping your machine updated makes it run more smoothly, and keeps it more secure.
So what needs to be updated?
– Windows Updates: Windows usually updates periodically on its own, but it doesn’t hurt to check and see what non-essential updates need to be installed, and to just tell everything to get it over with right now.
– Antivirus Updates: Your antivirus software should be updating and scanning regularly on its own if it was installed properly, but it doesn’t hurt to check.
– Driver Updates: Drivers are little programs that make your hardware play nice with the rest of the computer, and you rarely think to update them. Software like Device Doctor can get everything up to where it should be. Be sure to back up your computer first!
– Browser Updates: Browser updates patch security holes and are essential – check to make sure your updates are turned on and if not, update those browsers manually.
– Third Party Updates: Other programs like Flash, Java, and Adobe Reader will prompt you to update. They will nag, badger and annoy you with reminders, often times they will badger you to the point your antivirus program will question their motives. We may never know why a PDF reader needs more updates than everything else combined, but just let it do its thing.*
*IMPORTANT: Do read the text on what you are updating. Sometimes sneaky malware will masquerade as something legitimate, and sometimes McAfee will try to slip in with other programs such as taskbars. Uncheck those checkboxes if you don’t want a certain piece of software.
Proceed With Caution
As always, back up your computer or tablet before making major changes (such as the driver updates), and we are not responsible for any issues you may encounter, such as throwing computer out the window in frustration after finding McAfee sneaking in for the sixth time.
Subscribe To Our E-Newsletter
The Great Phishing Scamdemic
Have you been noticing an abundance of suspicious looking emails flooding y…
Serious Risks to Consider When Socializing Distantly
In today’s crazy world of staying home instead of visiting friends, we’ve a…
Ten Tips on How to be Successful While Working From Home Dur
As a web developer of over 15 years, I’ve spent a lot of time working remot…
- Facebook Password Reset Scam!
- Why Is It Important To Know Who Owns Your Representative? One Example: Glass-Steagall
- Do I Need Alignable?
- There’s an App for Labor Organization
- Social Media After Death
- Why is the website broken only for me?
- Password Reset
- Help, My Google Maps are Broken!
- Technology for Christmas
- How to recycle your old phone, laptop, TV and batteries for free A win for those with resolutions to declutter or be nice to the environment this year. I'd never heard of Cell Phones For Soldiers before!
- Looking forward to adding more cool photos this 2021! 🤩📷
- We wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas! 🎄❤️🎁💚🎅
- Merry Christmas from our awesome programmers! 🎅🎄
- Merry Christmas from our web designers!
- Tis the season!! Best of luck to all the Santa's out there shopping! 🎅🤶🎁
- The year is 1997.
You: *struggling to write a letter*
Clippy: Would you like some assistance with that?
- Sometimes technology can be scary 😳
- Be prepared to wrap pictures of your gifts this year 😂🎅🎁
- Headphones are a must in our offices!
- Chinese Government Holds Back Everyone’s Internet Freedom: A strong example of the problems this world... Chinese Government Holds Back Everyone’s Internet Freedom: A strong example of the problems this world faces with cyber censorship is what is going on in China. The government blocks many websites, searches, and software based on their content.
- EU-US Privacy Shield Still Not Protecting Your Privacy: Still collecting bulk data, problems with the... EU-US Privacy Shield Still Not Protecting Your Privacy: Still collecting bulk data, problems with the judicial redress act, and no true protection for businesses
- Copyright and Social Media: This has become a gray area. Almost everyone is guilty of... Copyright and Social Media: This has become a gray area. Almost everyone is guilty of sharing something on social media, whether it be Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest, that was copyrighted and not yours to share. But what is fair to ...
- How Your Devices are Tracking you and How to Stop it: Apple, Microsoft, and Android How Your Devices are Tracking you and How to Stop it: Apple, Microsoft, and Android
- Being Safe while Downloading Apps: With how many apps are downloaded it is always a... Being Safe while Downloading Apps: With how many apps are downloaded it is always a good idea to stay safe while downloading. You must take precautions, learn where to download, and do your research.