What gives? Why isn’t the website updated? You know the business is active – but the site looks like a ghost town.
Why wouldn’t a business or organization keep their website updated?
Web Company Issues
One of the more common problems we hear about are business owners who don’t have access to edit their website because it was built by someone else that has dropped out of contact or has become slow to respond.
If you are having a hard time with the company or individual that created your website, there are two questions to ask first:
- Do you have a website update/maintenance plan? Check your website contract (you do have one, right?). If you paid a one-time fee for a web site build, you may not be entitled to continual site updates.
- Is everything clear between you and the company or website developer? There may be some form of miscommunication of expectations. Reach out to them to find out the best way to get your website updates to them.
If a company is genuinely being difficult, sorting out the tangle can be complicated. We recommend heading off problems by registering your own domain name under your own domain registrar account, and making sure all expectations are clear in regards to updates and website ownership.
Talk to your web development company. They may offer monthly maintenance packages. Or, depending on your website platform, you may be able to update the site yourself.
Updating your own website can seem imposing and, depending on the platform your site was built on, it may be difficult.
If your site was built on WordPress or another user-friendly content management system, however, you can easily make changes yourself with client training provided by a company like Appletree MediaWorks. We like to use WordPress to build client websites because it keeps the end-user in mind. That includes you, the site owner.
If you can write up a letter in Microsoft Word or send someone an email, you have enough knowledge to edit a page or create your own posts in WordPress. All of our website packages include client training so that if you choose to update your website you can. Of course we also have a staff that will do your website updates immediately for you if you prefer.
Time & Priority
Keeping your website site information up to date may not be a priority – you might have plenty of business at the moment and you just don’t have enough time to get around to editing your website.
Website updates do not have to be long and arduous, however. An update on current events, a new welcome message, or current photos of your business is enough to remind potential customers and search engines alike that your site is still relevant. Many clients also like to have a Facebook or Twitter feed integrated into their website so they only need to update social media or their website and their information makes it out to everyone in real-time.
You may believe that you don’t need to think about updates right now. You have plenty of clients and nothing has changed. And this may be true, but consider the following:
- Keeping your site ‘alive’ and making regular updates – even a couple times a month – makes Google’s search robots more likely to check back regularly and see your site as important, this is part of Search Engine Optimization.
- Regular updates let visitors know your website is active and if updates are interesting enough, it gives visitors more reason to come back to your website again. Those visitors are more likely to turn into regular customers.
- Keeping your website up to date and keeping your information accurate makes you appear more professional than if you let things become old and outdated.
These days people are quick to look online for information and judge a business accordingly. You want them to like what they find and to know immediately that you are still in business and active. Think about the great things your company or organization does, why wouldn’t you want to spread your good news and why you should be chosen over your competitors?
How to Recycle Technology Responsibly (without compromising
Did you ever wonder how to recycle technology responsibly? Earth Day is a g…
How Does Facebook Know Everything About Me?
You may have noticed Facebook and its subsidiaries (Instagram, Messenger, e…
Google Plus Will Soon Be Negative
Google Plus has remained unpopular since its start in 2011. After multiple…
- Do I Need Alignable?
- How to Recycle Technology Responsibly (without compromising your security)
- Facebook Password Reset Scam!
- Court Notice Scam
- Social Media Copyright Issues: Fair Use or Infringement?
- Why Do People Buy Apps?
- Good WordPress Administrator Names
- How to Survive a Joe Job
- Important Security Notification – Change Your LinkedIn Passwords!
- Huawei's alternative OS to Android set to roll out as early as fall #Huawei phones are going to stop receiving #Android updates this summer. Their alternative OS might be available as soon as fall of this year.
In March, amid a tightening trade war between the U.S. and China, Huawei consumer group ...
- Galaxy S10 5G's insane Verizon data speeds are only the first step to real 5G 5G is already extremely fast. Will it be worth the extra cost?
Samsung's new phone topped 1Gbps download speeds during last week's tests, but the network still has a long way to go.
- Google to allow automatic deletion of location, web history Many people don't think about clearing up their browser clutter. Doing so can help improve performance. Chrome will be able to do it automatically now.
Google is rolling out a feature that will allow users to automatically delete some ...
- Timeline Photos All Galaxy Fold devices were recently recalled. Maybe this device is too far ahead of its time. What do you think? Check it out here:
- Records retention guidelines to remember during spring cleaning Just how long do you need to keep all those receipts now that your taxes are done? The article below answers that question. Thanks Small Business Association of Michigan!
By Yeo & Yeo CPAs & Business Consultants Warm weather and ...
- How to Recycle Technology Responsibly (without compromising your security) It's #EarthDay! It's important to get rid of your old tech properly to help maintain our environment's health as well as our own.
Did you ever wonder how to recycle technology responsibly? Earth Day is a good time
- How Does Facebook Know Everything About Me? Have you ever noticed that it seems like your phone is always listening to you? Do the advertisements you see know exactly what you're thinking? There is an explanation.
You may have noticed Facebook and its subsidiaries ...
- So close. Had to move the potting soil out of the way to get to the shovel. 🙃❄️🌨🌬