What gives? Why isn’t the website updated? You know the business is active – but the site looks like a ghost town.
Why wouldn’t a business or organization keep their website updated?
Web Company Issues
One of the more common problems we hear about are business owners who don’t have access to edit their website because it was built by someone else that has dropped out of contact or has become slow to respond.
If you are having a hard time with the company or individual that created your website, there are two questions to ask first:
- Do you have a website update/maintenance plan? Check your website contract (you do have one, right?). If you paid a one-time fee for a web site build, you may not be entitled to continual site updates.
- Is everything clear between you and the company or website developer? There may be some form of miscommunication of expectations. Reach out to them to find out the best way to get your website updates to them.
If a company is genuinely being difficult, sorting out the tangle can be complicated. We recommend heading off problems by registering your own domain name under your own domain registrar account, and making sure all expectations are clear in regards to updates and website ownership.
Talk to your web development company. They may offer monthly maintenance packages. Or, depending on your website platform, you may be able to update the site yourself.
Updating your own website can seem imposing and, depending on the platform your site was built on, it may be difficult.
If your site was built on WordPress or another user-friendly content management system, however, you can easily make changes yourself with client training provided by a company like Appletree MediaWorks. We like to use WordPress to build client websites because it keeps the end-user in mind. That includes you, the site owner.
If you can write up a letter in Microsoft Word or send someone an email, you have enough knowledge to edit a page or create your own posts in WordPress. All of our website packages include client training so that if you choose to update your website you can. Of course we also have a staff that will do your website updates immediately for you if you prefer.
Time & Priority
Keeping your website site information up to date may not be a priority – you might have plenty of business at the moment and you just don’t have enough time to get around to editing your website.
Website updates do not have to be long and arduous, however. An update on current events, a new welcome message, or current photos of your business is enough to remind potential customers and search engines alike that your site is still relevant. Many clients also like to have a Facebook or Twitter feed integrated into their website so they only need to update social media or their website and their information makes it out to everyone in real-time.
You may believe that you don’t need to think about updates right now. You have plenty of clients and nothing has changed. And this may be true, but consider the following:
- Keeping your site ‘alive’ and making regular updates – even a couple times a month – makes Google’s search robots more likely to check back regularly and see your site as important, this is part of Search Engine Optimization.
- Regular updates let visitors know your website is active and if updates are interesting enough, it gives visitors more reason to come back to your website again. Those visitors are more likely to turn into regular customers.
- Keeping your website up to date and keeping your information accurate makes you appear more professional than if you let things become old and outdated.
These days people are quick to look online for information and judge a business accordingly. You want them to like what they find and to know immediately that you are still in business and active. Think about the great things your company or organization does, why wouldn’t you want to spread your good news and why you should be chosen over your competitors?
Subscribe To Our E-Newsletter
Google Images are Not Free
Images are a great way to catch eyes on your website, social media, and eve…
Everything You Need to Know About Your Google Business Listi
Google My Business is the tool that allows you to directly edit your busine…
Why You Need an SSL Certificate on Your Website
Have you ever visited a website and been greeted by a warning stating that…
- Do I Need Alignable?
- Facebook Password Reset Scam!
- Help Alexa and Siri Find Your Business During Voice Search
- Why Is It Important To Know Who Owns Your Representative? One Example: Glass-Steagall
- Court Notice Scam
- Safe Harbor Rule Invalidated, How it Affects You
- How to Survive a Joe Job
- Referral Program
- Timeline Photos We're excited to say that performancefieldhouse.com is up and running.
Checking facility availability and purchasing time is easy with the online booking system we've implemented.
We've loved working with Performance FieldHouse. Go check out their new site!
- Lots of spam email have been finding their way into our main inbox recently. Be cautious before clicking a link and lookout for signs of spam.
Here is an article we did about common spam emails to watch out for:
- Happy February 14th. 😉 #ValentinesDay2020
- SIM swapping is a scary form of phone number fraud. Here's how to detect it... Sim swapping is a way #hackers gain access to phone numbers, then online accounts. This CNET article talks everything you should know about sim swapping.
- Easy to mix up I suppose...🤣🥞💻
- Easy to mix up I suppose...🤣🥞💻
#technology #TechnologyRocks #TechnologyTheseDays #technologynews #technologysolutions #technologyfail #technologyart #technologytrends #technologyr #TechnologyIsAwesome #technologysucks #technologyhatesme #technologyinnovation #technologytoenjoy #technologylover #technologyaddict #technologytuesday #technologywitch #technologyrules #technologytakeover #technologycompany #TechnologyforGood #technologyproblems #technologyeducation #TechnologyConsulting #technologyfree #technologyfacts #technologypark #technologyiscool #technologyjobs
- Firefighters warn TikTok 'outlet challenge' could cause fire, serious injury A new social media challenge is catching the attention of firefighters. Beware of the TikTok 'outlet challenge'.
- FedEx warns of text message scams claiming to have package information #ScamAlert
Appletree MediaWorks, LLC
- Support for Windows 7 ends today. Upgrading your OS may not require a new device, & it is easy & affordable (the Linux OS is even free).
For more information on Microsoft ending support for Windows 7 and how to...
- That's about as helpful as #AutoCorrect could ever be!
- Happy New Year! Now that the holidays are over...
#alexa #christmas2019 #newyears2019 #happynewyear #technology
- 🎄 Is it Christmas already? 🎅
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Let's hope our New Year's resolutions last this time around..🤣
- Chinese Government Holds Back Everyone’s Internet Freedom: A strong example of the problems this world... Chinese Government Holds Back Everyone’s Internet Freedom: A strong example of the problems this world faces with cyber censorship is what is going on in China. The government blocks many websites, searches, and software based on their content.
- EU-US Privacy Shield Still Not Protecting Your Privacy: Still collecting bulk data, problems with the... EU-US Privacy Shield Still Not Protecting Your Privacy: Still collecting bulk data, problems with the judicial redress act, and no true protection for businesses
- Copyright and Social Media: This has become a gray area. Almost everyone is guilty of... Copyright and Social Media: This has become a gray area. Almost everyone is guilty of sharing something on social media, whether it be Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest, that was copyrighted and not yours to share. But what is fair to ...