What’s New With Apple? Are the Products Worth it?
At the Apple event held September 9th, 2015 they expressed that they want to own every screen in your life. They focus on the upcoming devices including the Apple TV, iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, and iPad Pro, but are the products worth it?
The release date: October
The new Apple TV has a specialized operating system called tvOS. This OS features include:
- An App Store
- Streamlined user interface
- Advanced search function including search by voice
- Open access making it easy to develop apps and games
A touchpad Siri remote comes with TV that has a simple design, motion sensor, and voice control. Siri makes it easy to search on the Apple TV. All you have to do is press the voice command button and say whatever it is you would like to watch. For an example, you want to watch SHOW all you would have to do it push button then say “Find SHOW” and Siri brings up the top results.
The biggest concern is gaming which originally was one of the best features. Apple TV does support third-party controllers but has recently made some requirements. Some game requirements include that they must support the Apple TV remote and must support extended control layout but must be playable with standalone controllers.
This new restriction will obviously limit the complexity of games that are available on the Apple TV, which is definitely not a good thing. While the Siri Remote is far improved over the previous Apple TV remote, it is by no means as well designed for gaming as a dedicated gaming controller. – 9to5Mac
iPhone 6s and 6sPlus
The release date: September 25th
Pre-order date: September 12th
The most anticipated features of Apple’s iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are:
- The 3D touch – this senses the pressure in your touches to increase functionality.
- Con: It added 15g(6s) or 20g(6s Plus) of weight to the phone
- 2 GB of RAM – This has been unofficially reported. Compare this to the 1 GB with the former model
- Camera – the rear will have 12-megapixels and the front will have 5-megapixels. Also you can record 4K videos.
- Con: The “camera bump” with the camera still off-center and not flush with the phone is a problem for some
- Stronger Body
- New rose gold color
- Older model phone cases compatible
- Low battery life
- No increase in amount of storage as previous model
The release date: November
The new iPad Pro has many new improvements including:
- 12.9 retina display
- Multi- touch technology
- Weight of only 1.57 pounds
- Apple Pencil that can be paired up
- CPU increase – double the amount compared to the iPad Air 2
- 4 GB RAM – double the amount compared to the iPad Air 2
The biggest problem is it’s not marketed for business customers. Businesses do not want to make the switch because it’s an expensive device that does not offer specialized business apps. Another complaint is the price “It’s about the same price as Apple’s own MacBook Air, a laptop” – Reuters