In October, 2018, it was found that the information of over 500,000 accounts was made vulnerable to app developers, even though the information was marked as private. This included the names, email addresses, occupation, gender, and age of users. The bug went unnoticed for about three years. With that, Google claimed they found no proof that any developers misused the private information or even knew about the bug. Google then announced the initial plan to shut down Google Plus in August of 2019. Then in December of 2018, they announced that a software update done the previous month exposed the private information of users again. This time, 52.5 million users were affected. The bug was found in November of 2018 and fixed within a week. The shutdown of Google Plus for consumers moved up to April.
The Future of Google Plus?
Amid the shutdown of Plus, Google will be investing more into the enterprise version of the platform for corporate users. Google Plus will remain part of G Suite. G Suite is described by Google as a group of “intelligent apps that make working together easier, for faster decisions and better business results.” Google Plus will be a social network strictly for internal business, and it will be completely rebranded from before.
Save Your Data
If you are one of the few people who spends more than 5 seconds on the site (yes, really), although there is no rewinding its demise, there is a way to save your data. You can learn how to do that here. Make sure to jump on that before April 2nd, when Google begins deleting data.
Tips for Businesses on Google Plus
- Remember to remove any G+ icons that may linger around your website, email signature, and other social media platforms.
- You can capture an image of your Google Plus page by using a program like Fireshot. If you’re only worried about info, just be sure to save your data.
- It might be smart to jump the gun and delete your Google Plus account now for security reasons. Instructions to do that are here.
Some people may say it has been a good run for Google+. Others may say they still don’t know what it is. Either way, it’s time to say goodbye to this social media beast as it’s laid to rest for consumers.
Subscribe To Our E-Newsletter
The Great Phishing Scamdemic
Have you been noticing an abundance of suspicious looking emails flooding y…
Serious Risks to Consider When Socializing Distantly
In today’s crazy world of staying home instead of visiting friends, we’ve a…
Ten Tips on How to be Successful While Working From Home Dur
As a web developer of over 15 years, I’ve spent a lot of time working remot…
- Why Is It Important To Know Who Owns Your Representative? One Example: Glass-Steagall
- Facebook Password Reset Scam!
- How the Internet Helps in a Crisis
- Cat Tech Tips – Computer Updates
- Social Media Copyright Issues: Fair Use or Infringement?
- What’s a Twitter Storm?
- Ways to Move Up in Search Engine Results
- Phishing for Paypal
- Can’t say you didn’t learn anything today....
- I don't know who needs to hear this, but Valentine's Day IS this Sunday. She'll remember.... 🥰💐
- How to recycle your old phone, laptop, TV and batteries for free A win for those with resolutions to declutter or be nice to the environment this year. I'd never heard of Cell Phones For Soldiers before!
- Looking forward to adding more cool photos this 2021! 🤩📷
- We wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas! 🎄❤️🎁💚🎅
- Merry Christmas from our awesome programmers! 🎅🎄
- Merry Christmas from our web designers!
- Tis the season!! Best of luck to all the Santa's out there shopping! 🎅🤶🎁
- The year is 1997.
You: *struggling to write a letter*
Clippy: Would you like some assistance with that?
- Chinese Government Holds Back Everyone’s Internet Freedom: A strong example of the problems this world... Chinese Government Holds Back Everyone’s Internet Freedom: A strong example of the problems this world faces with cyber censorship is what is going on in China. The government blocks many websites, searches, and software based on their content.
- EU-US Privacy Shield Still Not Protecting Your Privacy: Still collecting bulk data, problems with the... EU-US Privacy Shield Still Not Protecting Your Privacy: Still collecting bulk data, problems with the judicial redress act, and no true protection for businesses
- Copyright and Social Media: This has become a gray area. Almost everyone is guilty of... Copyright and Social Media: This has become a gray area. Almost everyone is guilty of sharing something on social media, whether it be Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest, that was copyrighted and not yours to share. But what is fair to ...
- How Your Devices are Tracking you and How to Stop it: Apple, Microsoft, and Android How Your Devices are Tracking you and How to Stop it: Apple, Microsoft, and Android
- Being Safe while Downloading Apps: With how many apps are downloaded it is always a... Being Safe while Downloading Apps: With how many apps are downloaded it is always a good idea to stay safe while downloading. You must take precautions, learn where to download, and do your research.